Friday, September 28, 2007

Deciding to become a publisher

I finished my course with the Institute of Children's Literature in the winter of 2001/2002. It took twice as long as anticipated due to having another baby. After finishing my first manuscript, I spent a great deal of time revising, and submitting my work to one publisher after another. That's what you do right? You keep submitting until someone discovers what a 'genius' your work is. Every publisher liked my work, no one thought it was right for their company. At least, that's what the form letters said.
During this time I began writing other manuscripts, still submitting the first. Then I began submitting the next manuscript. I also began submitting manuscript ideas that I was working on for the future.
Then it happened. Okay, a few things happened. I became pregnant for the third time and realized that my going back to work part time was not going to happen. I also attended a writers' conference and my dream of becoming published was given a harsh dose of reality. Not only was it going to be an uphill battle to get the thing published, after I signed the contract it would take a minimum of 18 months to 2 years before I ever saw the printed version released. Maybe longer! I talked with an author at the conference who had been waiting for the release of his picture book for almost 3 years and still had not guarantee that it would be released on the date as promised. Of course, then there's the promotion of the book. Unless you're Stephen King or Danielle Steel, it's up to you to promote your own book. Yep. You have to take your book into your own hands and promote sales.
So guess what? That's what I'm doing. I'm not going to wait around for some publisher to decide that they have room for me. And I'm not going to wait 2 years to see my work in print. I am using my own printer and I will build my own following.
The book I've written is for young adult, which means it will probably be read by pre-teens and teens. I believe it appeals to adults as well because playing with Ouija Boards is almost a rite of passage for most teen girls. The story, Gateways: The Initiation, involves a close knit group of teen girls who experiment with a Ouija Board and release a demon in which they spend the rest of the story trying to figure out how to 'put him back'. The book springs from true experiences that happened to my friends and I when I was a teenager.
If you like to be scared then open the gateway to things that do more than go bump in the night.
To read an excerpt or pre-order a copy of Gateways, go to www.casteelpublishing.com. Let me know your opinions at feedback@casteelpublishing.com.
It's not the traditional work at home option, but it's the one that's right for me.

No comments: